Spoiler Alert: This post contains bad stitching and free fabric.
Once upon a time I talked about my disinterest for swimwear making, after all, my large collection of Brazilian swimsuits needed to make their appearances once or twice a year.
That, until last year, when I made the bombshell
. I felt SO accomplished. I felt part of the cool club. Oh yeah.. take THAT unknown territory… This positive experienced really changed my mind about the subject. Making swimwear is FUN! Fierce and no
t that scary. I wanted more…just needed to wait for better weather.
Even having my beach holiday trip schedule months ago (even before my trip to Paris was booked) time flew by and I didn’t achieved even half of my summer sewing plans. To make the situation more challenging I only had 2 days between trips. It would be my last opportunity to sew a swimsuit for the year.
Not often I have forced myself to sew in a rush. I like to take my time… I enjoy the creative process of adding/removing/changing/ when I’m sewing. Feeling like I haven’t sat in front of the machine for ages I accepted my self imposed swimwear challenge.
Successful sewing projects steps fall in two categories for me: great choice of fabric and great fit. Have those under control and very likely the result will be good.
As swimsuit fabric is super important to get it right I wanted to use something tried and tested. Honestly, before FunkiFabrics
* got in touch, I already had fabric samples ( many were posted on my IG/Twitter
) since the beginning of April. I told you, I have caught the swimwear bug.
My fabric choice was a little bit unplanned. From the minute I said yes please
(I received the fabric free) this
was chosen. Didn’t take me more than 3 minutes. I didn’t think about my previous plans… ohh silly girl. In my defence my mind is somewhere else.
I didn’t took consideration of print size and placement. When I arrived from Paris
the package was waiting for me. A quick glance and I thought…Oh OH.
I don’t need to write details how odd the lamp/lip shape would look on my lower privates. Should I save for a workout gear instead? A doubt that quickly got dissipated. The fabric print is gorgeous. The colours are striking. This will look lovely on a tanned skin. Digging my stash and found a complimentary solid swimwear fabric to sew the bottom.
Once fabrics were on hand, next on the list was picking the right pattern. With my pattern list in hand I narrowed my swimsuit patterns: Bombshell
(done that), BurdaStyle Jessica
(too sexy for a trip that involve the inlaws) and Alison
, Papercut Soma
and Mccall’s 5400.
I needed something that would:
- Allow me to sunbath. A girl can dream of golden limbs.
- Be a super quick project.
- Be demure but not boring.
What tipped the balance for the McCall’s was the fun mix of variations. I chosen view C/D without the band for the top. Using fold over elastic (FOE) and lengthening the front to create neckties. The bottom is view F as is. To marry the swimsuit pieces together I made matching details with scraps.
I love how the top turned out. I had enough security and didn’t need to add extra support. I worn it so much on holiday. Beach walks, sunbathing, swimming… It also matched with RTW bikinis I had. It was fun mixing up.
The bottom fitted well but I hated it. Let me share with you
a not so secret
little secret. Most Brazilians
dislike their swimsuits to be large on the backside, covering the whole bottom. Even older Brazilian ladies would not be seen on those big pants.
It felt so alien to wear really… funny how cultural influences get ingrained on personal taste. I didn’t expect the pattern to come up that big until I tried on.
By than I was too tired, we where due to wake at 4 am for our flight (I finished midnight). Next time I plan to use one of my swimsuits bottoms to modify the pattern, creating a mid term between super sexy and full coverage.
Lucky my scrap details worked as an adjustable sliders and I kept making the bottom smaller.
The solid fabric I used for the bottom wasn’t as good quality as the print fabric making me feel worried when I dipped in the sea. Lucky nothing went wrong but I wasn’t impressed by the bottom bikini and really want make a new one with my improvements.
I really wished I had taken my time and not sewn so tired as not all the stitching are as neat as I can make but I decided to cut myself some slack. Recently there are a lot of bloggers posting recent mess up and it’s nice to hear things like that. No one perfect… It’s all ok.
I’m glad I sewn swimwear again and had a bloody good time wearing my new bikini!
Overall I’m very impressed with the Mccall’s pattern instructions and sizing (straight size 12). I will be totally using this pattern again.
This make is a real mix of lessons learned. Let’s roll for next year swimwear trials.
Last year HRH was cross that I posted swimwear photos of myself. We forget how much exposure we face so I promised that if he took my pictures we could choose the ones to go online together. I think he done a great job taking them. He loves and support me, and is happy that I get so much satisfaction from my hobby but he is not a big fan of “blogging’. So he taking my photos was a huge progress. Ps: But I won’t be retiring my tripod any time soon xx