Let me share with you my first version of Sallie, Closet Case Files jumpsuit (and maxi dress) pattern. I choose to sew the self lined V-neck kimono tee with tie neck closure. The wide legs come in 2 lengths. On me the original longer length is just hitting ‘short’ compared to where it should hit, without hemming. I am debating between cutting to the “culotte” version or adding a contrasting band. What do you think? For now I will leave like this and wear with flats (most centrally my choice of day to day shoes) for a while before deciding.
I made my size 8, with two modifications on the bodice. Adding 1 cm on the shoulder length and 2 cm on the bodice (that end up being the casing for the elastic). For my future version, I will size up the bodice to size 10, add 3 cm on the bodice length & the 1 cm on the shoulder.
The pattern asks for light to medium weight knits and I used both, bodice and trousers retrospectively. The Ikat print bodice fabric was a swap loot from 2 years ago. I had just enough to squeeze the bodice. It’s lightweight and soft but has bad stretchability. I would have liked a bit more recover. In hindsight not the right choice of fabric. Personally I think it works best with something with a bit more weight.The V neck isn’t stretched but appears rounded on the body. The bodice is too fitted. My fault for choosing a size too small and a fabric that doesn’t stretch enough. Sometimes I overfit myself.Knits tend to be forgiving so I gambled. The darker solid fabric was a bargain £2 from local sale. I was supper happy with my bargain finding powers until cutting. Only than I noticed a pulled thread running the length of the fabric. Nothing really noticeable for most people but so annoying. Fingers crossed this make will last more than a few washes due poor fabric.
It’s ok to think this version more of a trial however I will be very sad if this has a low life expectancy. I really love the end result. Here a few more pictures, following Oona’s advice to shoot low.