Someday I hope to teach my beautiful goddaughter the art of sewing. In the meanwhile I love having opportunities to sew for her. There is no denying that baby outfits oozes cuteness factor, work brilliantly with small bits of fabric and trims; bringing instant gratification. When I received the invitation for her first birthday party; with the location being the lovely Whitstable beach; I immediately imagined her wearing a beach hat.
The pattern is from Sue Kim’s Baby Boutique and it is called Veronica Hat. The book offers 16 handmade projects; the focus of the book is to offer patterns suitable as baby showers gifts. The hat came together really easily and fit her perfectly. Really chuffed by the result.
I wanted make something that match the hat and only had fat-quarters. Lucky I had bought the matching bundle so even though the prints were different, the colours all complemented each other.
Inspired by the success of the hat, I tried to make the Mary Janes shoe pattern ( also from the book) but I didn’t like the end result.
This is a new designer to me and I found her on Kollabora. Another lovely pattern to work with. The instructions in english were clear and well written. As I was working on a very small piece of fabric the print placement wasn’t really perfect and It was bothering me. You know when you just sit there staring at the item. After a tea break and a chat with HRH the idea of turning the shorts into dungaree was formed.…
Creating the dungaree was simple. I measured the height and width I wanted and sewn a double side rectangular flap, and two back straps. Attached to the finished shorts.
Using the pattern facing to create a waistband in contrasting fabric. It was all so dynamic. I just added details as I sewn along.
Most of my garments are well planned throughout; I like to think what finishing technique I will apply or what I would like to learn. Not When making baby clothes. I just let my creative side loose; trying loads of ideas on the spot.
Making things where the risk to be a disaster is so minimum is really fun. Takes the pressure off so I completely understand why so many new sewist start by making their children clothing. Since I pretty much made up as I went for the top part I wasn’t sure about the height. Using buttons to adjust the closure was the most logical way to finish the pattern. So glad it worked.
Fabrics used: Art Gallery dreamin’ vintage by Jeni Baker. Tickled Pink: Lazy Daisy Rasberry, Pretty Poesis Lime, Bloomery Nectarine and Sweer Meawdow Rose.
We had a lovely day at the beach, which got me in the mood to make my own hat. More on that later.