Forget traditional Christmas jumpers. This year I’m being rebellious and wearing this vintage tooth-hound hand knitted jacket. I am very lucky to not only be the recipient but able to influence the design decisions. Initially I was drawn-in by the monochrome of the original pattern picture. I wanted something bold with a complementary colour scheme to highlight the pattern effect. I end up picking two colors that are opposite each other on the colour wheel for a high-contrast. What do you think about the result? The styling it’s a bit unconventional for me. I do print clash all the time but not inspired by Vintage clothes. I’m sure to have fun picking what to wear with my new handmade sweater.
The ninja knitter is my talented Mom-in-Law. She kindly sent me the pattern alterations needed for pattern to fit me perfectly.
Pattern: Vintage Knits by Wendy #335.
Pattern alterations ( Words by Rosemary)
Back and Fronts =Pattern – bottom band 3 1/4 ins/8cm. Actual – 4ins/10cm so when folded under and slip stitched in place it gave a depth of 5cm instead of 4cm.
Pattern – 13 3/4ins/35cm to armhole from start of the pattern. Actual – 16ins/41 cm from start of pattern.
Sleeves =Pattern – cuff 2 1/2ins/6cm. Actual – 3ins/7 1/2cm.
Pattern – 18ins/46cm to underarm from start of pattern. Actual – 20ins/51cm to underarm from start of pattern.
Collar depth=Pattern – 2 1/2ins/6cm. Actual – 4 3/4 ins/12cm.
I had to adjust the distances between making the buttonholes as I had made the buttonhole band longer than the pattern stated.
I used self-cover buttons and knitted the covers to match the borders. ( 27mm)
The houndstooth pattern consisted of 6 stitches in one colour and then 3 stitches in the contrast colour. So instead of carrying the yarn across 6 stitches at the back of the work, I wove it in every 3 stitches to avoid the yarn “pulling” the knitting and to give a nice neat finish on the reverse of the jacket.