I have an inquisitive personality. I enjoy trying new things. Sometimes I’m more interested on the process than the result. Knowing exactly what type of clothes suit me brings a great advantage when I’m picking sewing patterns. However that knowledge make my choices really restricted. Creatively I like to take chances. I was feeling restless, looking for something to do. Tiding my pattern library I picked a garment that you would not normally see me in. A vintage blouse. The pattern has a pair of pedal pushers I like but I went with a loose-fitting crop top with front extending into wide collar and tie ends at waist, extended sleeves and narrow hem on sleeves/back hemline. I knew was a risk! Oh Boy I was right!!! This top is not me at all. I did had a very enjoyable sunday afternoon sewing it. Sewing sometimes is the end go. Of course, I strive to sew a sustainable and wearable wardrobe and will use most of my time to make things I know I will wear a lot. What I don’t want to do is limit my range for a guarantee success. I won’t stop having a few dips and dabs on sewing projects just for the sewing a new idea. Which brings me full circle to the power of experimentation. Fun can be a new shape, construction method, fabric etc… Are you having fun with your sewing?
Fabric: C/o of Remnant King.The Print is a collaboration with iconic fabric brand Liberty of London to celebrate RK’s 70th Anniversary. The tana lawn, named King’s Meadow, is a print from Liberty’s 1940s archive is specially recoloured for 2016.
Size & alterations: Size 12 with 1 cm S.A. Lengthen by 10 cm. The amount is just right as the “hole’ exposes my belly button just as the pattern original. The ties wrap on my natural waist.
Constructions notes: The pattern is very easy and straight forward to sew besides the back collar insertion. A lot of reviews mentioned the back collar being an issue making me wonder where lies the confusion; the lack of clear explanation or the drafting. The pattern is well explained besides the back collar illustration. That step needs a photo. The back collar is suppose to cross over. Mine does it just not enough. Mainly because I reduced the seam allowance from 1.5cm. I’m not discarding a some misinterpretation of my part on what one is supposed to do.
Techniques used:baby hem the sleeves. The challenge of applying a baby hem using the baby hem presser foot is to get the fabric to roll from the start. You have to hold your threads and help the feed dogs at beginning by guiding the fabric. It’s a bit awkward but once you get going its quite easy. The presser foot doesn’t guarantee an even hem. You must continue to guide the same amount of fabric all the way thought. I used 4 Snaps instead of buttons.